Close

Ruby / Hagupit Consolidated Report No. 3

7 December 2014, 12PM (AFTER LANDFALL)

Typhoon Updates

 

 

At 9:15PM last night, Typhoon Ruby made landfall over the municipality of Dolores in Eastern Samar. It has since made its second landfall over Cataingan, Masbate as of PAG-ASA’s 11AM update today. The typhoon is expected to make its third landfall in Sibuyan Island tonight. The Typhoon’s diameter has also reduced from 700 km prior to landfall to 600 km at landfall. Its diameter is now 500km. Within this diameter, heavy to torrential rains of 10 mm to less than 30mm is estimated. It currently has maximum sustained winds of 140kph and gustiness of 170kph. (PAG-ASA)

Before landfall, the typhoon’s strength reduced slightly reclassifying it from a Category 4 Typhoon to a Category 3. After its first landfall it has since been reclassified as Category 2. (Weather Underground)

The typhoon is forecasted to move West Northwest at 15kph. Tomorrow morning it is expected to be 20km Southwest of Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro or 150km South of Science Garden, Quezon City. On Tuesday morning it is expected to be 260km West of Calapan City or 260 km West Southwest of Science Garden.

Area Updates

 

 

After landfall, the operations center has been trying to maintain communications with the teams in Leyte and Panay for assurance of their safety. Here are a few updates from the areas:

Leyte, Visayas

Before landfall yesterday, Team Leyte reported heavy rains and winds that commenced at around 4:44PM. At around 4AM, they reported continuing strong winds and heavy rains. The team also reported that electricity and water lines had been cut. However, communication lines were still intact.

At 8AM, one of the team members, Ate Carmi, who is based in Ormoc City reported that roads in the city proper are still passable although some debris was seen on the said roads. Several lightweight structures had been blown by the wind. There were very strong waves in the sea, but the tide remained low. The river color was brown, indicating that that there were heavy rains in the mountain area. It was also reported that a couple of electric wires along the national highway were cut. Houses were said to have slight to moderate damage and sugarcane plants were slightly bended. There were no visible uprooted trees along the national highway.

At 9:18AM, the team members in Albuera received word that evacuees in the barangay and in schools were safe. However, they have expressed the need for additional food.

At 9:49AM, there was an update that Barangay Tabgas started distributing a first round of relief goods (3-4 kgs of rice) to families in evacuation centers. This first round of relief came from the barangay BDRRM funds.

The team is currently based in the staff house in Albuera, Leyte and have yesterday completed preparedness measures for the team and assisted with preparing partner communities for the coming typhoon. These partner areas were also affected by super typhoon Yolanda / Haiyan last year. The Team located in Leyte have available team provisions good for one week, and have prepared the staff house with emergency materials (first aid kits, flashlights and rope). Team belongings have been packed and placed on the second floor. They have decided also to open the staff house for walk-in evacuees in case of any untoward incidents.

All of our partner barangays in Leyte have activated their respective BDRRMCs. The Leyte team has assisted the barangays with monitoring and needs assessment, coordination and communication. They have also prepositioned goods for the communities.

Profiling sheets were provided to evacuation centers for monitoring and assessment. Once these are collected, more detailed data will be available.

The team reports that there has been panic buying since Wednesday and there is now a shortage of goods in the area.

Storm Signal Number

Leyte is currently under Storm Signal Number 3.

Storm Surge Advisories

Storm Surge Advisories have been issued to three of our partner areas in Leyte. Here is the history of advisories from DOST-NOAH:

5 December 2014 – 9PM

Municipality Storm Surge Advisory Expected Storm Surge Height
Merida, Leyte SSA No. 2 2.1-3.1 meters
Albuera, Leyte SSA No. 2 1.9-2.9 meters
Ormoc, Leyte (none) (none)

 

6 December 2014 – 5AM

Municipality Storm Surge Advisory Expected Storm Surge Height
Merida, Leyte SSA No. 3 2.7-3.7 meters
Albuera, Leyte SSA No. 2 2.5-3.5 meters
Ormoc, Leyte SSA No. 2 1.7-2.7 meters

 

6 December 2014 – 2PM

Municipality Storm Surge Advisory Expected Storm Surge Height
Merida, Leyte SSA No. 2 2.1-3.1 meters
Albuera, Leyte SSA No. 2 2.0-3.0 meters
Ormoc, Leyte SSA No. 2 2.1-3.1 meters

 

 

– Ormoc, Leyte

Vulnerable communities in Barangay San Juan have evacuated to Barangay Margen since their identified evacuation center is also at a high-risk area. Others are staying at the Barangay Hall. There are around 200-300 families in all evacuation centers. However, there is no definite number as of present.

– Albuera, Leyte

The barangay of Tabgas is a coastal barangay composed of 3,465 persons in 960 households or 963 families. 163 households are located in no-build zones, while 400 are in hazard-prone areas. It is currently under the leadership of Kap. Protacio Rizalito Ceniza. Identified evacuation sites include the Barangay Hall, Cantawagon Daycare Center, Health Center, Tabgas Elementary School, San Pedro Elementary School, and Four Square Church and pre-identified safe houses in the neighborhood. Selected teachers, tanods and kagawads were put in charge of the evacuation.

There are currently around 53 families or 169 individuals at the Tabgas Elementary School. 67 families or 276 individuals are at the San Pedro Elementary School. 20 families are at the Four Square Church. Currently, exact numbers of evacuees are still being counted as some sought shelter from neighbors or relatives. The Barangay Captain’s recent update was that 334 families have evacuated and they are still counting.

The barangay prepared 1 box of noodles at the barangay hall. There were also 200 sacks of rice ready at the municipal hall, which was prepared for all 16 barangays.

The barangay’s latest identified needs include: a truck for mobilization, rice and canned goods, water and medicines.

The barangay of Sherwood is an upland barangay composed of 2,360 persons in 500 households or 518 families. The barangay is currently under the leadership of Kap. Andres Cruz. Identified evacuation sites include the Elementary schools in zones 3 and 8, as well as pre-identified safe houses in the neighborhood.

There are 15 families reported to be at the Zone 3 Elementary School, and 3 families at the Zone 8 Elementary School.

There were also 200 sacks of rice ready at the municipal hall, which was prepared for all 16 barangays.

The barangay’s latest identified needs include: a truck for mobilization, rice and canned goods, water and medicine.

– Merida, Leyte

The barangay of Puertobello is a coastal barangay composed of 3,884 persons in 1,091 households or 1,152 families. It is currently under the leadership of Kap. Maria Cristina Ramos. Identified evacuation sites include Mt. Sinai Formation Center in Sitio Biasong, Holy Trinity in Sitio Biasong, Puertobello Elementary School, Merida Municipal Hall and pre-identified safe houses in the neighborhood. Kagwads have been placed in charge of the evacuation.

As of latest count, there are 170 families in the Mt. Sinai Formation Center, 40 in the Puertobello Elementary School, and 37 in Sitio Biasong. In Mt. Sinai Formation Center and the Elementary School, there is a total of 720 individuals. As of 4PM, the evacuation is still ongoing so these numbers may increase as soon as the final count is available.

The barangay already has an available truck for transportation, and have prepared 10 sacks of rice as well as noodles and canned goods.

The barangay’s identified needs are additional rice and food, water and medicine.

Panay Islands, Visayas

At around the first landfall yesterday, the community in President Roxas reported that heavy rains and strong winds started earlier that afternoon. Evacuation had already commenced to the Baptist Church and Christian Faith School.

In the meantime the team based in Estancia reported that the wind had become stronger and the waves bigger. They reported that there were no rains yet as of that time. Goods prepositioned by the DSWD  were distributed to the evacuees. The team also reported that at 5PM stores have already closed down  and have secured their stalls  with extra board and ties.

As of 9AM, the team was still communicating and awaiting updates from the barangays for possible damages. The island barangays are already not visible through the bad weather. Heavy rains and winds were reported, which had begun as of 1AM this morning.

As of 9:24AM, the DSWD distributed 1kg rice and 3 canned goods to each family in President Roxas.

As of 11AM the army and other rescue groups were reported to be on standby in Estancia.

The Panay Team had been prepared for the arrival of the typhoon Ruby. Goods have also been prepositioned in the area, particularly 98 food packs each containing  5 kgs of rice, 3 cans of sardines, 3 sachets of coffee, and 3 sachets of Energen.

The partner barangays had already evacuated to higher ground. Some family members, including children, were secured in relatives’ safer houses with more stable structures. The elderly were secured in kagawads’ houses for their safety. The team is maintaining regular contact with our partner communities for updates on their situation and any assistance we may extend.

Volunteers were mobilized to help in repacking of goods.

The partner communities in this area were also affected by the super typhoon Yolanda / Haiyan last year.

Storm Signal Number

Panay is currently under Storm Signal No. 1.

Storm Surge Advisories

Storm Surge Advisories have been issued to three of our partner areas in Leyte. Here is the history of advisories from DOST-NOAH:

5 December 2014 – 9PM

Municipality Storm Surge Advisory Expected Storm Surge Height
Estancia, Iloilo SSA No. 2 1.5-2.5 meters

 

6 December 2014 – 5AM

Municipality Storm Surge Advisory Expected Storm Surge Height
Estancia, Iloilo SSA No. 2 1.7-2.7 meters

 

6 December 2014 – 2PM

Municipality Storm Surge Advisory Expected Storm Surge Height
Estancia, Iloilo (none) (none)

 

– Estancia, Iloilo

We are currently monitoring four partner barangays in the province of Estancia, Iloilo.

First is the barangay of Bayas, an island barangay, which has a population of 3,014 persons in 672 households or 756 families. The barangay has reported that some residents have already sought shelter with relatives or the kagawads’ houses, while some remain on the island.

Second is the barangay of Manipulon, also an island barangay composed of 463 persons in 83 households or 107 families. The barangay has reported that some residents have already sought shelter with relatives or the kagawads’ houses, while some remain on the island.

Third is the barangay of Loguingot, also an island barangay composed of 904 persons in 215 households or 216 families. Some residents are with relatives while others are still on the island.

In the barangays of Bayas, Manipulon and Loguingot, 1,800 families were reported as of 11PM last night in all evacuation centers. 1 casualty was reported.

Fourth is the barangay of Jolog, also an island barangay composed of 428 persons in 69 households or 96 families. Their identified evacuation centers are the Barangay Hall and the DCC. They have reported 168 individuals or 37 families in the evacuation centers as of last night.

– President Roxas, Capiz

In President Roxas, coastal barangays including Pandan, Madulano and Quiajo were evacuated to the safer Civic Center. 184 families were reported to be in the evacuation center.

As of 4PM yesterday 90% of the coastal families have already evacuated.

In the barangay of Pinamihagan, 73 persons were reported in 2 evacuation centers.

In the barangay of Madulano, 345 persons were reported in 2 evacuation centers.

In the barangay of Pandan, 132 persons were reported in 3 evacuation centers.

In the barangay of Goce, 200 persons were reported to be in 1 evacuation center.

In the barangay of Marita, 55 persons were reported to be in 1 evacuation center.

Surigao del Sur, Mindanao

– Cagwait

There has been no Storm Signal in Surigao del Sur since 1PM yesterday. The MDRRMC has issued the return of all evacuees except for 74 family evacuees from Arangasa Island, who may also be sent home today. The evacuees in Aras-asan had settled in the Gym at Aras-asan. 151 of the evacuees are male, while 136 are women. 4 are pregnant women. This is the same community affected by the recent tropical storm Queenie.

Evacuees who had already gone home include: 96 families were from Barangay Tawagan, 74 families were from Aras-asan, 150 families were from Unidad, 61 families were from Lactudan, and 90 families were from Cagwait.

It was reported yesterday that coastal barangays in Surigao experienced a storm surge of at least 1 meter. However, no casualty was reported.

As part of the contingency plan, psychosocial activities have been conducted for children 12 years old and below by Balay Mindanaw staff and volunteers.

Today, all LDRRMCs will begin their Damage And Needs Assessments. The following is a summary of the relief support provided by the DRRMCs through the Incident Command Post:

Barangay No. of Families Evacuation Center Relief Provided
Aras-Asan 74 Aras-Asan Gym 296 Food Packs ( 4 Days)
Tawagan 96 Church, Elementary School, Senir Citizen Hall 96 Food Packs
Unidad 150 Elementary School 150
Lactudan 61 Barangay Hall 61
Total 381   603

 

There were zero casualties and zero rescues in Cagwait and Lianga.

428 food packs containing rice, corned beef, noodles and sardines have been prepositioned. The municipality has provided relief packs and medical assistance to the evacuees.

There are plans to procure additional relief goods not only for the evacuees but also for other barangays in coastal areas. Trimming of branches has been done in Lianga.

Metro Manila

Metro Manila is currently under Storm Signal Number 1. Arthur Neame reported that the wind is strengthening but is hardly felt at the ground level and is still coming in light gusts. There are light clouds but no rain. Flood warnings had already been issued for areas near or next to waterways in low-lying areas. Electricity supply has remained steady as of now. Evacuations were ordered in Baseco Compound and Isla Puting Bato in expectation of a 1-2 meter storm surge. Marikina is also undertaking pre-emptive evacuation measures.

Cebu/Bohol

North Cebu and Cebu City are currently under Storm Signal Number 2. The rest of Cebu and Bohol are under Storm Signal Number 1.

 

(There are no significant developments from other areas. An overall update of all areas will be posted at 7PM tonight. Thank you.)

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email