Consolidated DREAM Update No. 5
November 23-24, 2013
Smiles of Mothers in Barangay Marita in President Roxas, Capiz
Balay Mindanaw continues the Disaster Risk-Reduction, Resiliency-building and Emergency Assistance Mission (DREAM) with daily assessment of what is needed by the communities affected by Supertyphoon Yolanda and what resources are available. Balay Mindanaw shifts gear with the support of its local partners, the care of friends and volunteers, the aid of donors and the people who believe that the community has to be empowered, sustainable and resilient.
A. DREAM Team Leyte
- Areas of Focus: Balay Mindanaw has focused its assistance in Barangay San Juan in Ormoc City, providing a total of 1000 food packs (775 in Brgy San Juan, 200 to families evacuated in Ormoc Elementary School and 25 to cargo laborers) and serving a total of 878 patients during the medical missions in 6 barangays (San Juan, Liloan, Lao, Linao, Naungan and Nadungholan) and 2 evacuation centers (Ormoc Central Elementary School and Linao Elementary School)
- Other Areas: Another 2 municipalities are being identified as potential beneficiares (Merida and Albuera) should there be additional support.
- Operation Center: Carpenters from Gingoog City were mobilized by KPMFI and are now in Barangay San Juan repairing the rice warehouse. This space was offered by the Barangay Council to be used as the temporary relief operations hub of the team and volunteers as well as the command center of the Barangay Council as it activated its Barangay Disaster Risk-Reduction and Management Council (BDRRMC).
- Reassessment of Damages: With renewed strength and mindset, the BDRRMC was able to reassess the damages of housing facilities. A total of 444 houses were identified as totally damaged and 184 houses as partially damaged. Loss of livelihood was also reexamined: 80 has. of farmland was damaged; 60 fishing households were seriously affected; 20 households engaged on vegetable gardening, poultry and livestock, nipa-roof making were deeply distressed. As a result of the reassessment process, all members of the council agreed to start refocusing their lives and rebuilding their community.
- Targets for the Week:
o The team will mobilize resources for another 2,000 food packs, hygene kits and shelter repair kits for distribution.
o The Barangay Health Center, including the 2 transitional shelters for the elderly, will also be repaired.
o Medical mission in the remote barangays and evacuation centers in Ormoc City will be conducted by the new group of 12 persons from Johanniter MERT who have arrived last Saturday. They will be assisted by a new team of 5 nurses from the PNA in Misamis Oriental.
B. DREAM Team Panay
- Areas of Focus: Two municipalities will be focus areas of Balay Mindanaw in Panay Island, as follows:
o Municipality of President Roxas (in Capiz) with 6 coastal barangays (Madulano, Marita, Goce, Sangkal, Pandan, Pinamihagan) – in sum, we have provided a total of 985 food packs directly to these 985 families (plus another 24 extra food packs to the MLGU, also for distribution)
o Municipality of Estancia (in Iloilo) with 2 barangays (Bayas and Manipolon). All houses were damaged, Bayas has 500 households while Manipolon has 95 households.
- Other Areas: Should there be additional resources, food packs will be provided to the Municipality of Tapaz (in Capiz) while shelter kits from DAI will be provided to the Municipality of San Dionisio, Iloilo.
- Target for the Week:
o The team is currently preparing to organize shelter repair kits for distribution, including “nipa” to the 922 affected families in the 6 barangays of President Roxas (with an estimate of 409 totally damaged houses and 513 partially damaged houses)
o The distribution of SRKs in the 6 barangays will also include the 200 bulbs and 300 water purifiers from One Million Lights Foundation
o Disaster Aid International (DAI) will provide 500 shelter boxes
C. Additional Commitments and Support
- Disaster Aid International – Disaster Aid Response Team (DART) headed by Ed Cox
- PRWorks Doris Mongaya – logistics hub in Cebu
- 2GO Freight Services for relief goods– free container van and shipment Cebu to Ormoc
- Talisay Malayan Academy – student-volunteers for the repacking of relief goods
- Dr. Cagape and Dr. De Jesus – Provincial Govt of Sarangani
- Phil. Nurses Association of CDO – 10 volunteer-nurses for Ormoc
- Judge Azon Llanderal and Family (Peso 10,000)
- Nina Martinez and Friends
- Reggie and Luz Villasanta
- Julla Palacpac and Friends (Eur 5,000)
- Cindy Maya and Noel Vergara with the Philippine Aid Team in Ireland
- Ramon Ramiro and Family (P10,000)
- The Johannitter – Germany (EUR 300,000)
- JIN Corporation – Japan (YPY 100,000)
- Marc Tagub and Friends in Australia
- Doughtery Foundation – Filipino Women’s Council – Italy – c/o Charito Basa
- Cindy Maya Vergara and Philippine Aid Team- Ireland
- Disaster Management Community of Reconciliation (DM-CoR) – volunteers for relief operation center in Iloilo
- Medical and Emergency Response Team (MERT) of Johanniter-Germany
- 3rd Infantry Division, PA – MGen. Aurelio Baladad – Panay Island – transportation (military truck) and manpower
- Visayas VOICE Network (P10,000)
- Mariza Dacuron and the Masters of Public Health Class- United Kingdom
- Inaki Larrazabal – accommodation and facilitation of team’s assessment of Ormoc
- JVP Alumni: Atty. Nolito and Jen Quilang – ground volunteers who connected us with LGU and Yol Resource Net. They were also by our side during visits to evacuation centers and barangay consultations.
- Msgr. Dido Arroyo of Fatima Vicariate – lent transportation and helped assess barangays Cogon, Mergen, Liloan, Curva and Merida.
- Action Aid
- Pag-Laum Multi-Purpose Cooperative – P40,000.00
- JBrothers Reloaded –P5,000.00 cash donation
- Edwin Castejon and Bobby Jasareno – P8,000.00 cash donation
- Pahinungod and UP Iloilo –VOICE Network members in Iloilo – local volunteers and logistics support
- Concepcion Family – use of Concepcion Chalet as the Operation Center of Balay Mindanaw DREAM Team Panay
- 200 bulbs and 300 water purifier – One Million Lights Foundation
- 50 Wheelchairs – Johanniter from Germany
- financial support to additional areas of assistance in Leyte and Panay – ACTION AID